Parsons provides the U.S. government with qualified personnel to solve the toughest engineering, intelligence, information technology, facility, environmental, and security challenges. Our staff is engaged in mission-critical, homeland security, installation/base optimization, range sustainability, space exploration, unexploded ordnance cleanup, missile defense, and disaster relief programs both domestically and around the globe. We excel in meeting mission expectations. Parsons makes the world a safer place.
Parsons Corporation is seeking to recruit a eligible candidate for the post of GIS Specialist.
Name of Post: GIS Specialist
Requisition ID: 29486-1
Location: Fort AP Hill, VA
Duties and Responsibilities:
The GIS Specialist/Analyst reports to the ITAM Program Coordinator and is responsible for managing and coordinating the GIS program at various installations.
- Coordinate and manage all aspects of the ITAM GIS program
- Create and update GIS data layers
- Create and manage databases
- Collect field data (GPS)
• Digitize and rectify aerial photography
• Perform remote sensing analyses
• Create maps and conduct database analyses in support of ITAM projects
• Provide GIS products and information for reports and presentations
• Develop and produce maps
• Other related duties.
Experience and Qualifications:
- BS/BA in Geography, Natural Sciences, Computer Science, Planning, Engineering, or a related discipline.
- Must have 3-5 years of work related experience and a demonstrated proficiency in using the ESRI ArcGIS suite of products (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, and ArcToolBox).
- Proficiency in GIS software applications and programming is required.
- Also requires a demonstrated proficiency in both written and oral communication skills and a working knowledge of industry practices.
In addition, the incumbent must possess the following specific skills and competencies:
- Well-developed skills with one or more GIS packages including scripting, programming, modeling, and designing.
- Ability to design and maintain GIS databases and other database formats such as Microsoft Access, dBase, etc.
- Proficiency in cartography and map design, including coordinating systems, projections, and map scales.
- Ability to utilize, convert and incorporate various types of data into GIS. Examples of this data include Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD), Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and database files.
- Knowledge of programming and scripting languages such as Visual Basic, Python, HTML, AML, EML, Cold Fusion, etc.
- Systems automation skills (e.g., UNIX scripts, NT batch scripts, Linux scripts)
- Systems and peripheral troubleshooting skills
- Ability to independently assess data anomalies, software problems, and program design flaws, and take appropriate steps to make the project work.
- Ability to ascertain hardware/software limitations, how to work within them, and what can be done when limits are reached.
- Ability to communicate results of assigned tasks in writing.
- Ability to document work performed on a project in project logs.
- Ability to document specific information about project data in the metadata file.
- Proficiency in basic office automation software including MS-Word or MS-Excel.
- Must be able to do field work on uneven terrain under extreme weather conditions and operate a four wheel drive vehicle on rough roads/trails.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be able to work as part of a team in a highly structured organization.
- Must have or be able to obtain & retain a valid state driver’s license to legally drive on and off post and be eligible to obtain a U.S. Government security clearance.
- Ability to successfully pass NAC-I (National Agency Check with Inquires) investigation.
- Masters Degree in a related discipline.
- Knowledge of or experience in working with the U.S. Army ITAM program.
- Prior or current military service or previous experience in working with the military.
- Experience in: GIS database development, Enterprise GIS, image processing (with ERDAS Imagine), data conversion, cartography, graphics, presentation development, and report writing.
- Experience in program or project management.
Special Job Requirements:
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors. While indoors, incumbent will be exposed to normal office temperatures and noise operating a personal computer and related office equipment. When outside, incumbent may work in seasonal inclement weather and adverse environmental conditions. Work includes off-road driving, walking through rough terrain and exposure to wildlife. Must be physically fit and able to lift, move and/or carry up to 50 lbs. of field gear and able to perform fieldwork that sometimes involves walking long distances in extreme weather conditions.