The National Database for Emergency Management (NDEM) Version 1.0 was operationalised in 2013. Subsequently, NDEM Version 2.0 was launched in 2015 with improved features like multi-scale databases, decision-support tools and mobile apps with secured access. In addition, value added products such as flood inundation maps, forest fire hotspots, damage assessment maps, drought indices maps etc., are hosted on NDEM Portal for all major disaster events since 2013. The portal is also equipped with multi-resolution satellite imagery ranging from 5.8m to sub-metre. Currently, NDEM services are deployed for all 36 States/UTs with multi-institutional support from Central/State departments.
In order to enhance NDEM features and services, NDEM Version 3.0, a web enabled Geo-portal has been developed for emergency management. The objective of the portal is to serve the nation with a comprehensive multi-scale Geo-spatial database services coupled with set of decision support tools to assist the disaster managers during emergency situations.
The portal is browser independent and compatible to all computer devices and mobile phones with vector rendering services. The salient features of the NDEM Version 3.0 are:
- A dashboard for visualisation of disaster alerts, warnings issued by nodal departments, current disaster news and authorised social media content
- Incident reporting through web and mobile apps
- Integrated visualisation of multi-scale data services
- Customised decision support tools such as proximity and optimal path analysis, report generation, etc., for relief management
- Interactive tools for communication among State Government Departments and MHA through portal
- Live audio/video module for visualisation of on-site response operations
- Resource management module for allocation and monitoring of relief resources
NDEM Version 3.0 portal was released recently by Hon’ble Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh during the inaugural ceremony of 2ndmeeting of National Platform on Disaster Risk Reduction (NPDRR) at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi on May 15, 2017.