The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is a nonprofit, global research organization dedicated to advancing human well-being, environmental conservation and equity. We conduct research that enables more informed and equitable decision making about the use and management of tropical and sub-tropical forest landscapes. We help policy makers and practitioners shape effective policy, improve the management of tropical forests and address the needs and perspectives of people who depend on forests for their livelihoods. Our multidisciplinary approach considers the underlying drivers of deforestation and degradation which often lie outside the forestry sector: forces such as agriculture, infrastructure development, trade and investment policies and law enforcement.
Position : Research Officer, Geographic Information System
Company : Center for International Forestry Research
Deadline : May 9th, 2014
The Research Officer will report to the Principal Scientist in the Governance Research Team and to the scientist coordinating GIS activities within CIFOR. He/she will conduct the planned work in support to Flagship 5.The Research Officer will also be required to help implement and maintain a GIS infrastructure across CIFOR, and perform some technical work related to designing, maintaining archiving and producing GIS data. The position will be based in the Bogor office.
The RO, GIS will be responsible for the following activities:
1. Spatial analysis
- Conduct analysis that contributes to understanding, from a spatially explicit perspective, the drivers and impacts of large scale investment on land use and forest conditions;
- Build geographical datasets with available data on biophysical and institutional variables, i.e. land tenure, land allocation, deforestation;
- Perform spatial data analysis and or modelling that allows data integrations in varied ways that reveal relationships, patterns and trends associated with trade and investment.
2. GIS/RS activities
- Provide guidelines for research field work to gather GIS and other bio-physical, social, economic, and political datasets that are relevant to CIFOR’s research; when required;
- Obtain secondary data and/or acquire satellite or other images, and process into ready-to-use data formats, complete with geo-reference information;
- Assist in sourcing and acquiring spatial data and models to describe phenomena and trends in land use, ecological processes, biodiversity, and socio-economic patterns and processes, significant to CIFOR research;
- Conduct land-use/cover analysis in select research sites using remote imageries as required by the projects, and validate the land use/land cover analysis including ground checking (if required) and communications with local partners;
- Perform GIS manipulation and analysis, such as overlays and conversion of coverage, data format and projection conversion, GPS data collection/post-processing/projection, data reconciliation, etc.;
- Perform remote-sensing manipulations, such as geo-referencing, image calibration, image processing and analysis, feature extraction, and produce land cover/land use maps;
- Design, produce and print maps and other forms of graphic products for research projects and scientist;
- Assist in preparation of presentation materials, reports and special events related to GIS/RS work.
3. GIS data management
- Coordinate data archiving activity with other projects that using RS/GIS across all research programs within CIFOR and CRP-FTA;
- Work closely with CIFOR’s GIS administrator to update, synchronize and maintain the GIS files and geo-database in CIFOR GIS server and CRP-FTA server;
- Contribute to the improvement of best practices on how to archive secondary data involved in research activities, as well as primary data produced from research activities.
4. Development of partnerships and network
- Help the task manager and other team members to conduct capacity building for local partners by providing training on methodology for field research related to spatial analysis works;
- Liaise and maintain the current networks with partners and students to keep them updated with progress;
Education, knowledge and experience
- Masters in Ecology, Environmental Studies, Forestry or Geography;
- Three years of relevant professional experience in developing and conducting spatial analysis in forest contexts;
- Advanced knowledge in ArcGIS, Spatial Analysis and Image Processing Software (e.g. Erdas Imagine, ENVI, Definiens); as well as data management;
- Strong computer skills in the main software programs (Excel, Word, Access, SPSS etc.);
- Demonstrated familiarity working with a variety of remote imageries, e.g. IKONOS, GeoEye, Landsat, SPOT;
- Basic knowledge of CGIARS’s (or other international agencies’) systems, networks and preferred process’;
- Work experience in a multi-disciplinary environment;
- Proven experience in qualitative and quantitative research and statistics.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
Desired Competencies (Typical):
- Management and organizational skills, experience in project management;
- Competent in personal organization and priority setting, with the ability to work effectively under time pressure and manage multiple priorities;
- Takes initiative and is capable of working independently as well as an effective team player;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
We are looking for people who share our mission and our commitment to professionalism, innovation, impact and collaboration.
Terms and Conditions
- This is a Nationally-Recruited Staff position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment is for two years, inclusive 6 months probationary period, with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia
How To Apply
- The application deadline is
- We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
To apply, please visit our carrer site at http://www.cifor.org/about-us/careers-with-cifor.html
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at http://www.cifor.org